The operation of phimosis: when it is recommended and in what it consists
Perhaps we would be surprised to know that all boys are born with phimosis , it is normal that it disappears throughout childhood and puberty. When the phimosis does not disappear on its own it may be necessary to resort to surgical techniques. Today we will learn more about the phimosis operation: when it is recommended and what it consists of .
The Phimosis operation: when it is recommended and what it consists of
When we have a diagnosis of phimosis in our child , the concern in the parents becomes evident, it may not be a topic that is talked about a lot, but it is a condition suffered by many children. Then do not panic, it is quite common and also with a simple solution.
All children when they are born they do it with the foreskin fused to the glans , therefore all boys are born with phimosis . This phimosis will disappear as the baby goes through childhood and puberty.
It stipulates that from 13 years the child should be able to withdraw without any problem. This age is not exact, but it can serve as the reference age.
What is Phimosis?
The penis of the male is formed by the foreskin which is a tissue that lines the penis and prevents the glans is exposed, that is, has a glans protective function . But this foreskin should be able to be retracted and stretched without difficulty and without pain.
In babies , when they are born and as we have already commented, the glans and the foreskin remain fused
and it will be during the period of childhood and puberty when this fusion will begin to disappear, until the skin of the prepuce can go down.
The Phimosis operation: when it is recommended
Phimosis is a pathology which begins at the birth of the child, although in most cases, this disappears during childhood and puberty , as we have already seen, but when its operation is recommended.
The operation of Phimosis: in adults
The foreskin should come down completely and without pain, otherwise, the man will find problems to be able to take a full sexual life . The inability to fully release the glans, leads to:
- Pain when having sex
- Possibility of injuries and injuries in the skin in this area
- Pain or difficulty urinating
- Retention of urine and infections
- Secretion accumulation
The operation of Phimosis: in children
The operation of phimosis, will be an option that the pediatrician will propose to the parents when other therapies have failedHaving phimosis does not mean that the child has problems, as a child, as we have seen these problems appear mostly, when they initiate sexual relations.
For this reason it is advisable to wait a few more years to take the decision to operate as in many cases, the problem is solved naturally before 10 years .
The operation of Phimosis: What it consists of
In most cases, phimosis operations > they are performed at an early age, that is, when the patient is a child or adolescent, but it is not exclusive to these ages, but it can be done at any age.
This operation can also be known as circumcision . It is to cut a part of the skin that covers the glans so that it ends when the glans starts.
Afterwards it will proceed to give some stitches strong> on the skin with absorbable thread and in a period of 15 days, these will have completely disappeared. This operation does not require hospital admission so the child or adult can leave on the same day of the intervention.
The operation of Phimosis: Recovery
After the intervention and after the anesthesia has been eliminated, the patient may feel some pain in the area under treatment. These pains will disappear with the medication that the doctor will prescribe. A treatment with anti-inflammatory and analgesic for the pain of the first days.
Keep in mind that as time goes by, the pain will decrease . The recovery after a phimosis operation will entail a series of discomforts that should be taken into account such as:
- The time of recovery of the wound can be extended to 3 weeks
- Avoid rough exercises , until after at least 3 weeks. Avoid running or jumping.
- It may be the case of bleeding during the first twenty-four hours, in this case do not be too alarmed, it is usual. To treat it, apply a sterile gauze and press for 10 minutes.
- In case of inflammation, apply cold compresses in the area, never with ice in direct contact with the skin or the skin. we will burn These compresses should be applied for 20 minutes and rest, and so on until the inflammation and pain go down.
- Cures every 24 hours consistent in removing the cure and replace the dressing for a clean one, possibly we also have to apply some kind of antibiotic ointment.
- Normally there is no problem in the patient taking a shower or bathing , although the wound should be treated with a very mild soap.symptoms, causes and treatment